Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I changed my thermostat because my old one kept shutting off.My new one has the same problem.Why is this?

My old thermostat never reached the set temperature. My new one is doing the same thing. what might be this problem? does my heater need to be serviced?
I changed my thermostat because my old one kept shutting off.My new one has the same problem.Why is this?
Well, it apparently is not the thermostat that is the problem.

More than likely your heater core is plugged.
I changed my thermostat because my old one kept shutting off.My new one has the same problem.Why is this?
boil the thermostat in a pot of water and see if it opens up
try a water pump--old pump may have all the water impellars worn off-also flush radiator
Has the engine ever overheated on you? You say the engine does not reach operating temp.? With the engine running does the water circulate through the radiator. If it does not then you have a restriction in the radiator. That has to be fixed first! Then check your waterpump, for leaks, and circulation. If you have water founting up from the fill cap(while off) then you may have a blown head gasket, or cracked block. You may want to take your car to your fav. shop and have them do a pressure test on it. Visit my web site for more info at www.brothersauto.vpweb.com

No comments:

Post a Comment