Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Furnace won't quit blowing, changed thermostat, worked good for 2 days.?

My furnace blower was running continually, so I changed the thermostat. I got the wrong one, not knowing I had a heat pump. So I rigged it up with just the red on rh, white on w, green on g, and yellow on y, no jumper between rh and rc. The original thermostat had black on X1, tan on E, red on R, nothing on Y2, yellow on Y1, white on W1, blue on W2, and a jumper from W2 to X2.

After I changed the thermostat, it cycled on and off with temperature just fine for 2 days. Now it blows all the time again if I leave the breaker on, like it did before. So I completely unhooked the thermostat and it still comes on and runs constantly if I turn the breaker on. Is it dangerous to hook it back like I had it and just heat the house when I need to by switching breaker off and on til I have time to troubleshoot it more on Sunday? Thanks for any help.
Furnace won't quit blowing, changed thermostat, worked good for 2 days.?
wont hurt it abit,tip look inside the air handler where all the low volt wiring is and see if you have wires touching anywhere,also look on the thermostat and see if it has a switch for gas or electric heat,make sure you have it on the correct setting,good luck those kind of problems will drive you crazy trying to figure them out
Furnace won't quit blowing, changed thermostat, worked good for 2 days.?
replace the fan/limit switch
Yes, it %26quot;could%26quot; be a fan limit switch if you have a gas or oil furnace as a backup.



Otherwise it is more likely a bad fan relay or the contact on the sequencer for the fan if you have electric backup. Either of those can get a little burnt and stick closed, fused.



It likely has nothing to do with the thermostat. If it is just the fan running, as is likely, and not the heat then it is relatively safe.



I think the fact it worked for a couple of days was coincidence. The component opened normally and worked until it stuck again. That is not all that unusual.



In order to help more or better we need to know what kind of system it is to know what turns on the fan, if it is a fan/limit, sequencer, or relay. The relay may be on the main board.



Good Luck.
  • oily skin pimples
  • camping tent rental
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment